Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Episode 3 of "Dad... I wanna setup my own business"

Before starting episode 3, I would like to ask you guys for forgiveness. I had mentioned in my previous episode that the very next day , I had caught a train back to Vizag. But That was not the case, I had to work for another 2 months and started to Vizag on August 25th 2008.
"To err is Human, to forgive is divine". (I remind myself I am human everytime i do some mistake :P)


CAT , CAT and only CAT.

August 25th, in the train, sitting and sipping a drink beside the window seat, enjoying the view. Guess what I had in my right hand..... Ipod? No. Sidney Sheldon Novel ? No. A pen and a paper, making a clear plan as to how to prepare for CAT in the next 2 and half months.
I started making schedules and plans for the coming months in the train itself. One of my close friends once said , "You fail to plan, then you are planning to fail". But in a week I had realized that, planning alone is not enough, implementing your plan is the mantra in which I had failed miserably.
I had reached Vizag on 27th August after a long journey via Chennai. Vizag welcomed me with its soothing sea breeze, its spicy mirchi bajji taste and not to mention the natural beauty. I was so excited being with my family and friends at my hometowm that it took me a week to realize that I had an exam waiting for me.
Registered at TIME, one of the best coaching centers in India for CAT. A few days passed and I had written my first Mock CAT exam on sunday. I strictly followed the advice given by one of my favorite teachers in school, "Aim for 100%, then you ll end up getting a 90". I realized how wrong it was as far as CAT is concerned only after I had received that week's mockCAT result.
--------------------------
Y.Vamsi Krishna
Quant: 84%le
Verbal: 21%le
LRDI: 11%le
OA: 62%le.
---------------------------
62%le :(
WHen I had checked the B schools which mapped to the score I got, the average salary figure had left me in a state of shock. It was way below what I was currenlty earning, without an MBA degree.
Now I know I would be blasted with questions "WHy do u need the salary statistics when you are looking to start up your own business?"
Well, I dont have a clear cut answer to that but thts the way it works in Indian education system, isn't it? The better the average salary of the college , the better it is presumed to be. So I dint have any other means of judging a college. I had to go by the average salary figures.

Coming back to CAT, I had decided 62%le is not going to take me anywhere. I need to do much better than that. But how much? 99.99? 99.55? Atleast 99? My mom said, one of her colleague's son had got 98.4%le last year. He is making another attempt and this time he is aiming for over 99? I laughed at him for his heights of craziness. If that were my score this year, I would be treating my friends at the TAJ, I decided.
But for that I need to quickly figure out what went wrong in the last exam?
"You need to come up with a new strategy" said my instructor, as if I was on a war and the entire enemy army is closing in on me in all directions. But yeah, in India, unfortunately, education is a war, a race , and any lapse on your part is going to leave you buried alive.
The new strategies and new twists in the next episode.

And guys, you need to give me a pat for my commitment, its 3:45 am now. Staying awake only to update the blog :P

5 comments:

Karteek Peri said...

Dude...appreciate it !!
Enjoyed reading ur blog...it is way different than the generic boring ones...and your style of writing is good...the TITLE itself has caught my attention..good sense of humor..way to go..!!

Unknown said...

Apolozising to ur readers already.....u got a long way to go...

I am Deepak said...

no wonder u blog name is "eccentric personified" dude...nice one keep going...dont make it a saas-bahu episode...i dont have much patience.. :p

Unknown said...

gud goin so far macha....

VIZAG - Youth For Equality said...

gud one.!!